Our strong (and growing) membership network is a unique part of our organisation's structure.
As an AIATSIS Member, you can be a part of a network of involved in all aspects of Indigenous knowledge and culture. Whether you are interested in research, archiving or finding out more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait peoples, becoming a member is a great way to contribute your expertise to help AIATSIS’ future and be a part of a community committed to preserving, strengthening and sharing Indigenous knowledge.
Members play an important part in shaping the AIATSIS Council. As a member you are able to nominate for election to Council as well as vote in the Council election. Membership appointments are for a five year period, after which reappointment is considered automatically unless you resign in writing.
Benefits of AIATSIS membership
- Cost – FREE;
- Stand for election to the AIATSIS Council and/or vote in the Council elections;
- Keep up to date with news at AIATSIS by receiving regular e-newsletters and invitations to events;
- Receive a 25% discount on most Institute publications, the biennial AIATSIS Conference and other AIATSIS public programs;
- Receive an AIATSIS membership card; and
- When in Canberra, borrow books overnight from the Institute library.
Becoming a member
To become a member, applicants must submit a membership application form. AIATSIS Council assess and appoint members, who meet at least one of the below criteria and who can demonstrate their interest in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage.
Successful applicants are granted membership for a period of five years. After which, you will be contacted by the Membership officer on the process to be reappointed as Member of AIATSIS.
Criteria for membership
Applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria to be considered for membership:
Significant involvement (5 or more years) in one or more of the following:
- Participation or employment in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community or cultural organisations;
- Involvement in research, teaching or study related to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ culture and heritage; or
- Participation, including employment, in activities related to the collection, management, preservation and custodianship of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ culture and heritage.
How to apply for membership
To apply for membership, download and complete the membership application form. Then, send your completed application form:
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post to Membership Officer, AIATSIS, GPO Box 553, Canberra, ACT 2601
Update Contact Information
To update your contact information please complete the membership contact update form and return via email to email@example.com
firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 6261 4254