If you're looking for a specific collection item or for more information on a subject, you can delve deeper into our collection by using our many guides, finding aids and databases.
Indexes and databases
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Biographical Index is a personal name index to published material held by our collections.
The AIATSIS Pictorial Collection Database database can only be accessed at AIATSIS, and contains about a half of 140,000 images held in our Photographic Collection.
Indexes and Databases are freely searchable via the Internet. These databases all contain content related to Indigenous studies.
AIATSIS maintains and manages the Pathways thesauri for describing content within our collection. AIATSIS Pathways contains three thesauri:
- Subject - subject / topics that are part of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander studies.
- People - Australian Indigenous group names and people.
- Place - locations and place names.
Subject guides outline how to search Mura ® for collection items and the internet for information relating to:
- Indigenous Australian Curriculum Materials
- Ethical protocols for working with Indigenous Australians Indigenous
- Australian astronomy
- Indigenous Australian festivals
- Indigenous Australian use of plants for food and medicine
- How to find mission and reserve records
A range of resources and information services relating to Native Title are available, including our very own Research and Access officer who provides expert advice and access assistance to native title clients on searching our collection.
Guides for indexers and Cataloguers
Connecting to Country
Aimed at cataloguers and indexers working with material with Indigenous content demonstrating best practice for establishing headings for Australian place names.
Demonstrating best practice for establishing headings for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander personal names.
Searching Mura® for materials relating to Indigenous Australian languages.