Thank you for your interest in working at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS).
This short guide will make sure that you have the best possible chance of success in your application for a position at AIATSIS.
Please ensure you also read information for applicants.
Your application should include:
- A completed application form
- A resumé or curriculum vitae including your:
- work history
- responses to the selection criteria specific to the role that you are applying for. Your responses to the selection are a major component of your application, and if you do not address them you will be assessed as unsuitable for the position.
- other details that are relevant to the position.
- The name and contact details of two referees (current supervisor is preferable) and the contact details of an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person to confirm the applicant has relevant experience and meets Criterion One.
- Please note that all positions in AIATSIS are Identified Positions.
Submitting your application
Once your application contains all of the above, you will need to send it to AIATSIS by the closing date specified in the advertisement.
Your application can be either:
GPO Box 553
Canberra ACT 2601
Once your application has been received, you will be sent an email or letter acknowledging that it has arrived.
If your application arrives late it may not be accepted, so make sure you check the closing date on the position description.
If you have difficulty meeting the closing date, please call the contact officer on the position documentation before the closing date to let them know of your delay.
Selection is based on merit and the selection process may include an assessment of your written application, an interview and referee comments. However the selection methods may vary. Other methods may include a written or work sample test.
If you are uncertain of the progress of your application, please phone or email the contact officer for an update.
Selection panels at AIATSIS generally consist of three people. Each selection panel has at least one Indigenous person, one male and one female.
If you are unfamiliar with applying for jobs in the Australian Public Service, the Cracking the Code section of the Australian Public Service Commission website may be useful.
You should also familiarise yourself with the APS Code of Conduct and Values, which all Australian Public Service employees must adhere to.